Instructor at USC Aiken
"I discovered my passion for teaching in 1988 and began teaching nursing as a clinical instructor. Later, I pursued a full-time position as a nursing faculty member in a BSN program. Most of my nursing career has involved various aspects of teaching."
- MSN – Brenau University, 2011
- MPA – Brenau College, 1987
- BSN – North Carolina Agricultural and Technical University, 1982
- Reviewer for a Gerontological Nursing textbook, 2017
- Presented at the Preventive Cardiovascular Nursing Association National Conference, 2015
- Served in the Army Nurse Corp for eight years
- In-service Coordinator/Policies and Procedure Coordinator at a Cardiology practice for over 20 years
- Assistant Nurse Manager
In which online degree program do you teach?
Which classes do you teach online?
NURS 450 Gerontological Nursing
Why did you start teaching?
I discovered my passion for teaching in 1988 and began teaching nursing as a clinical instructor. Later, I pursued a full-time position as a nursing faculty member in a BSN program. Most of my nursing career has involved various aspects of teaching.
What advice would you give to those considering this degree program?
It is important to prioritize and manage your time appropriately. Begin and complete your assignments early to avoid feeling overwhelmed and stressed.
What qualities make someone particularly successful in nursing?
- The successful integration of knowledge that enhances the nurse’s ability to implement competencies in leadership, ethics, research, evidence-based practice, and collaboration to deliver cutting-edge quality care across the health care continuum.
- A dynamic teaching environment that prepares the nurse to integrate holistic into their practice.
- Becoming a lifelong learner to maintain expertise in all areas of practice and insure high-quality health care globally.
What do you think is the biggest challenge that nurses face today?
Time management in joggling multiple tasks and responsibilities.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
“Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen.
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students may not know.
I have served in the Army Nurse Corp. My passion is playing completive tennis.